Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Blogger's Quilt Festival - Modern

Capitola Crossing


I really appreciate Amy's definition of Modern for the Festival - she says ' modern to you, is modern to me"  With that non-judgey spirit in mind I'm entering Capitola Crossing to the linky party.  In all honesty, I think it's pretty special that it was inspired by the Amish Railroad Crossing quilt from 1930

Triangle on a roll - the closest that I get to paper piecing!
Mock up color placement on the design board was a fun step.


The bright colors were chosen to represent the Begonia Festival and the one block mini reflects the small 2 square mile size of town and the railroad that runs through it.


My newish ruler came in so handy trimming up.   Although not a perfectionist (sort of an anti-perfectionist truth be told)  I didn't want to cut too many tips.  


I rarely (read: almost never) mark anything.  The color change is subtle but there are two different threads used inside and out of the chalk line. 


This is as close to matchstick as I've come with a wider spacing for the pink.  Linking up to Blogger's Quilt Festival - Modern category and to ALYOF October Finish Party.


Specs:
Started September 28, 2014
Finished October 4, 2014
Size: 28"x28"
Kona and Cotton Couture Solids
Bamboo Batting
Aurifil 50wt piecing 40wt quilting


Previous Blogger's Quilt Festival Entries: 

Spring 2014
Giant X-Plus  - Scrappy
Rip Tide - ROYGBIV

Fall 2013
Tassels - Group/Bee

Fall 2012
Old Italian Block - Scrap/ROYGBIV/Bed

Spring 2012
Catalyst (aka Mod Mosaic) - my first time to participate 



10 comments:

  1. The straight line quilting in the "X" really makes me see the crossing here. The bright triangles pop and float off the really dark negative space, like tall buildings viewed from above in a city.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like this block! It seems modern to me :) I love the quilting, it really accentuates the design.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a gorgeous quilt! I love Amish quilts and the fact that this is Amish inspired just makes me so happy. Lovely! Good luck in the festival!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so lovely, and very modern to my eye!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your quilt is beautiful! I love the quilting and the different threads and all the colours you used. The overall design is wonderful too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. beautiful! i love the bright solids with the dark background.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is such a striking piece! I love the contrasts in the pattern. Pretty stitching! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the design with the little block in the middle, what a pop.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful! I love how the colours pop!

    ReplyDelete

Let me know that you stopped by - leave a comment and make my day!